Getting dressed in the morning is a basic task. Right?
Yet so many women find it one of the most annoying, toughest parts their day.
It really doesn’t have to be so complicated or frustrating.
You can build a great outfit from the ground up in no time! I promise.
Here’s my quick, easy, and fail-proof routine for building a great everyday outfit.
- Unless I have a new item you're busting to show off, I suggest to always start by choosing your bottom half. Check the forecast and make your decision accordingly. Choose pants, a skirt, shorts or a dress.
- Next, choose your top. You may have an outfit idea already, but if not, hold your jeans or trousers up to my shirts and pull the shirts out if needed to get a better visual image of an outfit. This will help you choose unexpected combinations.
- Moving onto shoes. I always pick out a few pairs and try them on to see how they look with the outfit. If you don't already own one, invest in a full-length mirror that will give you the full outfit look.
- Choose your bag once the whole outfit is put together. It doesn't have to match your shoes but holding it up against the full ensemble will help to get that overall outift look.
- Sometimes a top and bottom is all your outfit needs, but your will almost always need an “outfit completer.” Some kind of layer that helps your outfit come together and look more finished. It could be a vest, a scarf, a belt, a hat, or a jacket that adds a bit of colour, contrast and texture.
- Finally, accessories. Once you're completely dressed, it’s important not to skip the icing; that being your jewellery and sunglasses. Choose your necklace, earrings and bracelets accordingly (and almost always choose one or the other so they don’t compete for sparkly attention). Then I choose my sunglasses (brown or black, casual or fancy, big or small, round or cat eye).
Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be doing all of this in less than 5 minutes, guaranteed!