10 ways to beautify in your sleep
These overnight beauty tips give a whole new meaning to the term “beauty sleep.”
1. For a pampering overnight treatment, apply Vaseline to the soles of your feet and put on socks before you sleep. The socks help bind the moisture to your feet and you’ll wake up to soft, smooth soles.
2. Woken with puffy, swollen eyes? Add an extra pillow and sleep on your back. This will allow the fluids around your eyes to drain easier and keep the puffiness to a minimum. And, look for creams that list caffeine as one of the top ingredients - it keeps fluids moving.
3. To wake up with perfect waves, shower at night and allow your hair to air dry till damp then run some light styling creme through with your fingers. Either sleep in braids or twist your hair into a messy bun.
4. A humidifier might just change your skin forever. Turn one on before you sleep (works best during colder months when the air is drier) and let it work its magic. It instills the air with moisture, which helps plump your skin and keep it hydrated.
5. Did you know sleeping on a cotton pillowcase can cause creases on your skin and therefore create wrinkles. Invest in a silk or satin one which will lessen the pressure on your skin and help prevent hair breakage.
6. For an easy DIY teeth whitening treatment, brush some baking soda to your pearlies before bed. Leave the mixture on for 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly afterwards. Only do it once a week though coz baking soda can wear down enamel.
7. It’s best to apply any face products that contain brightening ingredients like retinol and vitamin C at night. Sunlight can deactivate them and prevent them from working to their fullest potential.
8. Give your lashes a DIY lash lengthening treatment with castor oil. This natural oil is rich in super-hydrating omega-6 fatty acids, which help moisturize and prevent breakage. Just gently brush the castor oil through your lashes each night and in the morning rinse with warm water and wash your face as usual. You should notice healthier lashes in just a few weeks!
9. Smooth a leave-in conditioner into your locks before you snooze to wake up to shiny, soft strands. Applying it in the evening gives treatment more time to penetrate into your hair cuticles for optimum moisture. Coconut oil is a fab natural alternative.
10. Apply cuticle cream or oil before you sleep then slip on gloves. You’ll wake to healthy, hydrated nail beds.